Winter is a hard season for me to get through and is for many others as well. The short days with little or no sunshine do take its toll on many of us.
I’m sharing the things that are helping me get through this long winter, the things that are saving me right now.
This has become a popular post for many bloggers and I love reading about what is saving them and I wanted to join in on the sharing of things that help me get through winter.
This idea, comes from Barbara Brown Taylor’s memoir, Leaving Church, (which is on my “want to read” list). When Barbara was invited to speak at a gathering, her host told her simply, “Tell us what is saving your life right now.” She says it’s too good a question not to revisit from time to time.
This is my list — it’s simple, though a little long —
1. Walking: I have always believed in the power of fresh air and walking. A dynamic duo for health and feeling of wellbeing. If it’s a brisk day, I bundle up and if it’s a stormy day, I jump onto the treadmill instead. It’s not the perfect way to walk but it gets me moving.
2. Echinacea: Winter seems to be prime time for colds and flu, so I always keep my go-to herbal remedy handy. I started to use Echinacea years ago because my grandma was a true believer in its power to pump up our immune system, it really seems to work for me (thank you Grandma!).
3. Reading: The nights are so cold and this year we’ve had more than our share of snow storms, so I am very thankful for my love of reading. Snuggling up with a good book and losing oneself in the lives of our favorite characters helps to forget about the cold wind whistling outside.
4. Journaling: I love sitting down and writing about my day or something that has caught my fancy. This is a good way to declutter your mind as well. Getting things down on paper instead of muddling you thoughts. I’m old school and love using a traditional paper journal for tracking my thoughts, rather than a journal app on my phone.
5. Gilmore Girls: Oh my beloved Stars Hollow friends, how I love them. If at all I am feeling down or tired of what’s going on in life, sitting down to a few episodes of GG will cure me for sure.
6. Hot Chocolate: I am not sure why hot chocolate is on my list, except that in my mind, it’s the official hot beverage of winter. When I grab my fleece throw and a book, there should be a nice hot cup of “cocoa” in one hand. It makes me happy.
7. Homemade Soup: I can’t even imagine winter without soup. I make this recipe (Old Fashioned Hamburg Soup) that’s so simple and easy to make. Full of whole ingredients that does a body good. It’s been in my family for generations and its pure comfort and happiness. Of course, there has to be warm bread of some sort to accompany it. Yum!
8. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm: My favorite lip balm. It’s all natural and costs about $3 a tube and works amazingly well to keep my lips from getting chapped in the dry winter months. I don’t leave home without it.
9. Eating Well: Trying to keep my meals as simple and wholesome as possible so that I am providing a lot of nutrition to my body to help ward off all the winter time illnesses. I use to eat more comfort food during the winter months and that made me feel worse. Now I work at keeping my food intake balanced. I feel a lot better and have more energy which I definitely need this time of the year.
10. Sleep: Because the days are shorter and the sunshine is limited, I feel like I need more sleep or maybe the lack of vitamin D causes me to be more tired. Whatever the reason, I do need to hit the hay earlier in the winter months (could very well have been from all the stress and running around in December). If I cuddle up and get a good nights sleep I feel so much better the next day.
Are you enduring a long winter? Tell me in the comments below, what’s saving your life right now?