Adding a Healthy Twist to a Family Favorite Recipe with Lantic & Rogers
One of the most popular recipes, in my family, is our traditional No Bake Chocolate Haystack Cookies. For good reason, they are jam-packed full of deliciousness. With only a few simple ingredients like cocoa, butter, milk and brown sugar. Ok so, scratch the brown sugar, I switched it up for coconut sugar this time , which gives this classic recipe a healthy twist!
Keeping true to my values of eating as clean as possible by cooking yummy food in my own kitchen and still getting to savour sweet treats like these chocolate haystacks, made with organic coconut sugar from Lantic & Rogers, super easy for me to do.
Coconut sugar has become a new pantry staple in my kitchen. What I really like about it is that it tastes really good, it’s 100% natural (meaning there’s no artificial flavours, preservatives and it’s not chemically altered in any way) and it works amazingly well in recipes, which the kids, grandparents and kid’s friends will attest to. I ended up having to make a second batch to get a few good photos.
So, the coconut sugar tasted amazing when it was mixed in with cocoa, milk, butter and all the other ingredients, but how did it taste without all the other things masking the flavour. To be quite honest, I found the coconut sugar was more appealing than regular brown sugar, maybe the caramelized flavour is what got me. Maybe because I was super excited to find a high quality sugar substitute that didn’t taste synthetic. Whatever the reason, my taste buds are hooked and I did the happy dance when everyone else enjoyed the taste test too!
What I was pleasantly surprised about is that the coconut sugar mixed and dissolved smoothly in the milk and butter, it’s fine grinds were easy to combine with the cocoa and perfectly integrated into my cookie recipe. Just imagine beyond the desserts though, I am thinking BBQ Ribs with my from scratch sauce made with coconut sugar. Or sprinkling coconut sugar into a pan of Baked Beans, yum! The possibilities are endless!
Just to mention, if you’re a lover of white sugar and you want to cut back on the amount you’re using in your coffee, in the kid’s cereal or in a recipe, you’ll be happy to hear that Lantic & Roger’s has a Smart Sweetened Blend, Sugar & Stevia Blend. I’m excited to try it out as well, since it has 50% fewer calories than sugar alone, and you only need to use half the amount for the full sweetness. Like the Lantic & Rogers Coconut Sugar, the Lantic Sugar & Stevia Blend uses only natural ingredients (no artificial sweeteners, fillers, preservatives or chemicals), that’s a pretty sweet deal!
It’s the perfect time to try the Coconut Sugar or Sugar & Stevia Blend products from Lantic & Roger. Head over to Save.ca and download your coupon for $1 off.
These No Bake Chocolate Haystacks have been made by every single member of my family because they are super easy to make and everyone loves them! With a little help, my 8-year-old can whip up a batch in no time. These cookies contain all REAL food ingredients (now I can say this since I have swapped out the granulated sugar for the coconut sugar), so I really feel ok about enjoying a couple of cookies, or more than a couple even.
What you will need for this recipe:
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- dash of salt
- heavy medium-sized saucepan
- parchment paper & a cookie sheet
1. In a medium-sized heavy saucepan, over medium heat, combine coconut sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and salt.
2. Heat to boiling, stirring often.
3. When a low boil is reached, continue boiling for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Remove pan for the heat, mix in the vanilla, rolled oats and coconut until blended well.
5. Drop by tablespoons onto parchment-lined cookie sheet, using your fingers to hold each mound together.
6. You’ll have to work fast before the mixture sets.
7. Let cool until set, about 5 minutes.
Enjoy! Like I said, I had to make the second batch to get any photos, yes they were that good.
For more delicious recipes made with Coconut Sugar or Sugar & Stevia, visit Lantic’s recipe page.
No Bake Chocolate Haystack Cookies with Coconut Sugar
- 2 c Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 c Cocoa
- 1/2 c Milk
- 1/2 c Butter
- dash of Salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3 c Rolled Oats
- 1 c Flaked, Sweetened Coconut
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut sugar, cocoa, milk, butter and salt.
- Heat to boiling, stirring often.
- When a low boil is reached, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and quickly mix in vanilla, oats and coconut until blended well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined cookie sheet (you will need to press a bit to hold each mound together).
- Let cool until set, about 5 minutes.
Do you have a family favorite recipe that you could make-over using coconut sugar? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Disclosure: this delicious recipe for No Bake Chocolate Haystack Cookies has been sponsored by Lantic – Rogers on behalf of Ehm & Co. As always, all opinions are totally my own.