This vanilla ice cream recipe really is the best ever. And with only four ingredients, it just might be the easiest, too. No ice cream maker? No problem. Just follow the directions below and enjoy!
Sometimes we just want to have a treat and the healthiest way to do that, is to prepare it right in your own kitchen. Like this super easy, made from scratch, vanilla ice cream. Ice cream is my family’s favourite dessert and for good reason – there are endless possibilities when you have ice cream in the freezer.
Just to be clear, I do eat supermarket ice cream, quite often. There’s absolutely no shame in that at all. But it’s so much fun to make it homemade and have the kids join in. Plus, there’s only 4 simple ingredients and you know exactly what they are.
Things I make with a batch of ice-cream
- ice cream sandwiches with homemade chocolate chip cookies (or oatmeal)
- ice cream sundaes (topping with real maple syrup or jam)
- a delicious banana split (don’t forget the nuts!)
- add fresh or frozen fruit to change the flavour
- drizzle it with melted dark chocolate
- sprinkle it with cocoa
I could go on, but you get the idea.
I’ve been making ice cream since I was a young child. Often a visit to my grandmother’s would include making ice-cream from scratch and boy oh boy it was exciting. Getting to customize our own flavours and waiting for it to freeze. Loved those days and cherish them. So when I now make ice-cream with my daughter, it has a little feeling of nostalgia.
Here’s what you need for this recipe
- heavy cream
- half and half
Here’s how you make it
- Freeze a 13×9 in. pan
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until sugar is dissolved completely
- Transfer the cream to the prepared pan
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes or until edges are starting to set
- Using a hand mixer, beat the ice cream until smooth
- Cover, freeze again for about 3 hours or until fully frozen (beating every 30 minutes)
It’s super easy to make isn’t it?
Another amazing recipe featuring from scratch ice cream is my Strawberry Shortcake Ice-cream Cake recipe. It was a huge hit last summer and it is made using my grandmother’s recipe. You may enjoy making this 3 Ingredient Crock Pot Apple Dump Cake (top it with the homemade ice-cream).
Is there a recipe that you feel a twinge of nostaligia when you make it? I’d love to hear about it, drop me a comment below.
Made from Scratch Vanilla Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of half and half cream
- 1 cup of coconut sugar (or what ever you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Place a 13×9-in. dish in freezer until cold.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar completely
- Transfer cream mixture to prepared dish.
- Freeze until edges of mixture begin to set, 20-30 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, beat mixture until smooth.
- Freeze, covered, until firm, about 3 hours longer, beating again every 30 minutes.